Become a Better Leader by Developing These Qualities
The best leaders are those who are not only extremely organized and passionate, but also deeply in tune with certain qualities of emotional intelligence. Basically, the idea of “emotional intelligence” is the ability to gauge what other people need or expect while controlling and filtering your own emotions and preventing them from being the primary basis for your decision making.
Here are a few such qualities you should develop to become a better leader:
- Discipline. If you are able to control or redirect your emotions that would otherwise be disruptive, you will find you are able to think more clearly and communicate better with your team. A leader who regularly loses his
or her cool will have a hard time making good decisions and earning respect.
- Self-assessment. It’s extremely important to be able to recognize your strengths, weaknesses, emotions and values, as well as how all of these impact the rest of your team. It’s not enough for you to understand what you want — you also need to understand why you want it. By developing a strong awareness of who you are as a leader and as a person, you will be better able to improve yourself on a regular basis.
- Empathy. When you are able to put yourself into the shoes of your employees or partners, it’s much easier to be a compassionate leader. People are much more likely to want to follow an empathetic, compassionate leader than one who comes off as cold or uncaring. Through your empathy and compassion, you are better able to resolve issues in your company and give your employees a better place to work.
- Communication. Good communication skills are essential to strong leadership, and that doesn’t just mean being smart about what you say — your body language and tone are perhaps even more important than what comes out of your mouth.
- Building relationships. You need to be willing to take an active interest in the other people in your company if you want to actually create a worthwhile relationship with them. Through building relationships, it’s much easier to gauge the needs and expectations of your team members.
For more tips about how to become a better leader, contact us today at Viral Solutions.
Copyright 2015 Viral Solutions LLC
by Thomas von Ahn | Chief Elephant Slayer
Viral Solutions LLC is a Digital Marketer Certified Partner and an Infusionsoft Certified Consultant.
We help overwhelmed small business owners duplicate themselves – so business can be fun again.