Signs That You May Be About to Burn Out
The life of an entrepreneur can become very hectic. Long hours, lots of responsibility, high expectations for yourself — all of these issues can contribute to your stress level in a big way. Do you find your self hitting that wall? Ever feel like you aren't productive? Have you had trouble staying focused?
Every now and then, it’s important to take a step back and breathe, especially if you feel yourself starting to burn out. Here are a few warning signs that you should be on guard for:
• Constant exhaustion. If you feel as though you never get enough sleep and you easily get tired throughout the day, you’re probably working too long of hours. Sleep is extremely important — a well-rested person is a lot more productive than someone who stays up late and wakes up early to get some extra work done.
• Poor health choices. If, for example, you notice that you’re opting for unhealthy food or that you’re going through the drive through too often to save time, you should probably reevaluate how much time you’re spending on work. You should leave time for yourself to prepare good, healthy meals and get plenty of exercise.
• Certain health problems. Issues like anxiety, depression, heartburn, headaches and low energy could all be issues caused by stress, so the more of these types of symptoms you have, the more likely it is that you’re burning yourself out.
• Can’t stop thinking about work. Because entrepreneurs often don’t hold traditional nine-to-five work hours, it can be difficult to create a separation between your work life and your personal life. If you’re spending every waking hour thinking about what you need to accomplish with work, then it’s probably a sign that you need to dial it back a bit.
• Irritability. Constant irritability is probably a result of a lot of other burnout symptoms building up inside of you. If you feel your emotions beginning to get out of your control, it’s probably best to start taking more time to yourself.
• Poor performance. If you’re burning the candle at both ends, that’s going to be an unsustainable level of work to keep up. Sooner or later your performance will dip. This is another reason why it’s important to give yourself some much-needed breaks.
Don’t let yourself burn out—as soon as you notice these symptoms, it’s time to give yourself a break.
Copyright 2015 Viral Solutions LLC
by Thomas von Ahn | Chief Elephant Slayer