Offline Hashtag Use: which hashtags to use and how to use them
You’re likely familiar with using hashtags on your favorite social media sites. However, it’s important to let others know that a specific hashtag exists and should be used for a given situation. Oftentimes, this means sharing your hashtag online and off. Use the tips below to let others know which hashtags to use and how to use them.
- Use hashtags on signs. Whether you’re hosting a training course, seminar, workshop, convention, or even a party, prominently posting your designated hashtag alert attendees to its existence. Make sure to let them know which social network or (networks) you will be using. For example, you may want attendees to post photos on either Facebook or Instagram using your hashtag. Use images of the appropriate social networks’ icons so that attendees can instantly understand your intentions.
- Use hashtags on business cards and brochures. If your hashtag is intended to be used on an ongoing basis, consider including it on your business cards, brochures, and other marketing materials. For example, if you host a weekly chat on Twitter, include a short blurb encouraging others to join you each week on Twitter using your designated Twitter chat hashtag.
- Use hashtags on office signs. Passersby might not be inclined to follow a company they don’t know on social media sites simply by seeing that they have social media profiles. However, they might be curious about your niche. An intriguing hashtag on your office sign, company cars, and other signage could draw them into a conversation, providing you with an opportunity to connect.
- Print actual hashtags. Buy some heavy tag stock at the office supply store and print a batch of tags containing your hashtag in large print. Depending on the nature and scale of the event, it may make sense to have your hashtag tags professionally printed. Hand these out at your special events so that attendees both know what to do and don’t have to try to remember your hashtag.
- Hold a hashtag-related social media contest. Social media contests are a great way to get more likes and engagement. Make it easier for your customers and prospects to participate in your hashtag-related contest by having printed instructions readily available. Again, you could print tags or postcards containing the contest details.
Using hashtags on social media sites is a fantastic way to connect with others. Make sure they know which hashtag to use by sharing your hashtags online and off.