The world is more digitally connected today than ever before, which is producing some interesting effects on the business world. It’s hard to believe that not so long ago we were living in an era where technology consisted of a few office computers barely capable of email, and a fax machine that may or may not work at any given moment.
Here are a few of the biggest ways telecommuting has changed the way we work:
• More people are working remotely. There are many benefits to allowing employees to work remotely, or even being an entirely digital company. You save on building and utility costs, employees save on transportation costs and employees can work from wherever in the world they want. Telecommuting has increased the amount of people choosing to work remotely on a regular basis.
• The earth is healthier. While there is still a long way to go toward protecting our climate and mitigating the damage we’ve done to our environment, the rise of telecommuting has absolutely had a positive impact on the earth because of the decreasing numbers of people driving to and from work every day.
• Employees are more tech-savvy. The rise of telecommuting has led to a greater need for all employees to be familiar with cloud technology and various other IT issues that they wouldn’t necessarily have to be quite as proficient with in a workplace where everyone was in-house for 40 hours a week.
• It’s led to more global collaboration. It’s so easy now to work with colleagues, partners or clients from all over the world, thanks to the rise of VoIP technologies and the cloud. You may never meet these people, but it’s easier than ever to get to know them thanks to the numerous tech advances made in the business world in recent years.
• There’s less split between work and personal lives. On the negative side, it’s hard for people who regularly telecommute to truly feel as though they’re “off the clock.” It takes a lot of self-discipline, as well as a lot of strict rules and guidelines, for everyone to get the time off of work they deserve. Otherwise, companies can easily abuse the free time of people who work remotely.
Is your company capable of allowing workers to telecommute? If so, consider these points and how your company could possibly benefit from such an arrangement.
Copyright 2015 Viral Solutions LLC
by Thomas von Ahn | Chief Elephant Slayer
Viral Solutions LLC is a Digital Marketer Certified Partner, Infusionsoft Certified Consultant and a Mobit Certified Partner. We help overwhelmed small business owners duplicate themselves – so business can be fun again.