A big part of becoming a successful businessperson is developing relationships with other people. However, if any part of you is an introvert, this could be easier said than done. But it’s ok — you don’t have to be the most outgoing person in the room to make genuine connections with others, and you don’t have to follow a “fake it til you make it” sort of strategy.
Here are a few tips you can become a better people person and make better connections with others:
• Be empathetic. Try to keep the focus on the other person with statements like “you must be so proud of what you’ve accomplished,” rather than saying “I’m so happy you’ve found success!” You might think this would barely be noticeable in conversation, but the actual psychological effect is rather profound. Keeping the focus on “you” rather than “I” or “me” alters the entire tone of a conversation and shows your interest in the way other people feel or think.
• Be personal. For example, everyone expects you to follow up the question of “how are you?” with “good, you?” Rather than using these sort of canned, robotic responses, try instead to actually make it personal. Say how you actually are, or give a quick recap of your day, and you’ll find there are more opportunities to make a personal connection.
• Ask questions. As the old adage goes, people love to talk about themselves. The more you show your interest in others, the more they’ll be interested in you in return. Ask follow up questions based on things they’ve already told you as well, so they know you’ve been listening.
• Listen. Don’t interrupt the other person, and don’t get distracted and turn away. Keep your focus on the person talking, nod your head and show you’re listening. Don’t just be waiting to respond, either — you’ll get to know people a lot better by listening to every detail.
• Be genuine. Don’t feel like you have to play a part — you’ll come across as being fake. This advice might seem trite, but just be yourself. It’s the best way to come across as being genuine and it’s far easier than trying to be someone you’re not.
Looking for more tips on forging business relationships? Contact our team at Viral Solutions today!
by Christine Kelly
CEO and Queen Bee | Viral Solutions LLC
Copyright 2015 Viral Solutions LLC